Size: 0.4 oz.
Price: $10.50 (Free when purchased with the Formula X The System XCEL)
Features: Enriched with ShineXcel | Three Free Formula | Specially Designed Brush | 85 Current Shade Options at Sephora
If you missed last Monday’s post, I talked about the Formula X The System XCEL, read that review here, that I received free from Influenster to review (as always all opinions are my own). Part of what was also in my Influenster box was a Formula X nail polish to go along with the Formula X The System XCEL. I received the Formula X TGIF Nail Polish in my box so let’s get into my thoughts.
Now the Formula X nail polish as a whole is new to me so let’s talk about the nail polish itself before getting into my thoughts. To start off with the Formula X nail polishes are 3-free; which means that it’s free of dibutyl phthalate, toluene, and formaldehyde (if you’re interested in an informational post about why you should avoid these products, which brands are 3, 5, and even 7-free, and if it’s even worth avoiding just let me know). To go along with being 3-free Formula X nail polishes are also made without sulfates, phthalates, and parabens.
Let’s talk about the features of the Formula X nail polishes. Let’s start with the fact that the shape of the cape can be a bit of a hinderance when it comes to trying to polish your nails, however, Formula X took a page out of butterLondon’s books and made their “outer” cap removable. Essentially you give a slight tug on the “outer” cap to reveal a smaller round cap that is easier to handle when polishing the nails. I do want to mention that the cap isn’t so loose that it falls off or anything like that. Moving on from that, Formula X nail polishes are formulated with their patented ShineXcel which enhances the overall shine and color of the polish. Formula X also uses a patented No Compromise formula which is supposed to be long-lasting and provide a “stunning” finish.
Before we talk about my thoughts on the Formula X TGIF Nail Polish can we discuss how bad the brush photo turned out? For some reason my camera just would not focus on this little brush. The brush for the Formula X nail polishes is the same as the brush that the products in the Formula X The System XCEL have so you check out my post here for a better shot. I did find that I really like the brush for the Formula X nail polish as it made it easier to keep to just the three strokes for a standard manicure, some of my current favorite polish brands can require more strokes due to their smaller brush sizes. As for the application itself, the Formula X TGIF Nail Polish was went on my nails really well without streaking and was pretty opaque with just one coat.
Now let’s talk about the wear of the Formula X TGIF Nail Polish…well let’s talk about how I prepped my nails for this.
- I removed my old polish using the Formula X Delete All Nail Polish Remover
- I filed the few nails that had broken throughout the previous week
- I pushed my cuticles back
- I buffed my nails using a buffing block
- I applied butterLondon Cuticle Oil to my cuticles and then removed any excess from the nail plate using Zoya Nail Polish Remover
- I applied the Cleanse and Prime steps of the Formula X The System XCEL, letting Prime dry completely before moving on
- I applied two coats of Formula X TGIF Nail Polish, letting each coat dry completely before moving on
- I applied the Shine step of the Formula X The System XCEL, letting it dry completely before moving on
- I finished by applying Nail Butter around my cuticles and OPI AvoJuice to my hands
I want to mention this because I want to perfectly transparent about any factors that may relate to wear. Steps 1 – 5 and 9 are almost the exact same as any other manicure I do on myself, the only difference being that I usually remove my polish with Zoya Nail Polish Remover. Steps 6 – 8 are where the difference in my manicures come in and boy what a difference! The picture above is the same manicure that I just went through the steps with FIVE DAYS LATER! I kid you not…and I should add that four of those five days involved doing shampoos in Cosmetology School! Normally my manicures chip within the first few days, especially if we’re doing lab work in school. I also don’t think that how amazing this manicure looked in real life shows up that well on the camera. While the Formula X The System XCEL may have helped the longevity of the Formula X TGIF Nail Polish, I think that how gorgeous the polish looks is on it alone. I highly suggest picking up the Formula X The System XCEL and choose a polish of your choice but if you don’t want to do that then you should really pick up at least a few of the Formula X nail polishes!
Purchase Formula X TGIF Nail Polish
Shop Formula X at Sephora
Latest in Beautiful Hair, Skin, and Makeup
- Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
- MAC x Star Trek 50th Anniversary Collaboration
- Formula X The System XCEL
Latest in Beautiful Lifestyle
- Sephora Play Box: August 2016 Unboxing
- Try the World Snack Box: August 2016 Unboxing
- Sephora Play Box: July 2016 Unboxing
Latest in Beautiful Mind
- Book Review | Lizzie’s War by Rosie Clarke
- Book Review | Coco Chanel Saved My Life by Danielle F. White
- Book Review | The Crepes of Wrath by Sarah Fox