This month I decided to do something a little different…well before we get into that let’s talk about that post title shall we? If you didn’t notice this post is titled “Battle of the Bags: Sephora Play and Ipsy October 2016” that means that I’ll be talking about what was in the Sephora Play pouch for this month and what was in the Ipsy bag for this month as well. Yep you read that right, after an 18-month hiatus I decided to resubscribe to Ipsy. Initially I did it specifically for the October bag, it’s gorgeous right?, but I’ve decided to stay subscribed for a bit, so look for more of these posts in the future! Until then let’s get into what was in those bags shall we?
To start out with the Sephora Play pouch for this month stated Lipstix & Chill, which I thought was awesome, and the theme was “The Cool Cut”. The contents inside of the October Sephora Play bag were as follows:
- YSL Mon Paris Eau De Parfume || Perfume by YSL inspired by the city of Paris. Main notes are bergamot, pear, raspberry, and strawberry. The sample included was 0.04 oz. for a value of $2.80
- erborian Bamboo Creme Frappee Skin-Reviving Gel || Deep moisturizer with a whipped texture tha can also be used as a makeup primer. Bamboo ingredients include sap, rich in amino acids that hydrate, and fiber, proteins and lipids that help to maintain moisture. The sample included was 0.17 oz. for a value of $4.30
- Farmacy Skin Dew Hydrating Essence Mist || Facial mist that can be used to set makeup, moisturize the skin, or as a refresher throughout the day. I already reviewed this on the blog so check out that review here. The sample included was 0.68 oz. for a value of $9.06
- Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask || Conditioning hair mask that enhances the shine and color of hair while strengthening it as well. Made with rare prickly pear seed oil but smells STRONGLY of baby powder. The sample included was 1.7 oz. for a value of $14.49.
- The Estee Edit by Estee Lauder Flash Photo Gloss || Clear gloss with cool blue undertones that is supposed to make teeth appear whiter. Also, is supposed to have a vanilla scent but it’s hardly noticeable. The sample included was 0.1 oz. for a value of $7.41.
- Smashbox Always on Matte Liquid Lipstick in Driver’s Seat || A matte liquid lipstick that is supposed to be non-feathering and water-resistant. The shade included Driver’s Seat which is a warm pink. The sample included was about 0.043 oz. for a value of $7.94
Moving onto the Ipsy bag for this month. The bag for this month was baby pink with a mix of beauty and magical items printed over it. The theme for this month was Black Magic and the contents were as follows:
- Purlisse Daily Lip Nourisher with Mango & Shea Butter || A lip treatment with mango, shea, and jojabo oil to nourish the lips. Does not smell strongly of mango and is moisturizing without being heavy or greasy. The sample included was 0.16 oz. for a value of $5.05.
- Trestique Mini Matte Lip Crayon in Belize Bordeaux || A hydrating and lightweight matte lip crayon. Belize Bordeaux is a deep red shade and the mini matte is an actual travel size that is available to purchase as is. The sample included was 0.02 oz. for a value of $12.00.
- The Balm Cosmetics Hot Mama! Shadow / Blush || A shadow / blush multi-use product in a nice pink shade. This shade of shadow / blush is actually a pretty good dupe for the NARS Orgasm Blush, more so than the e.l.f. Blush as the consistency is similar as well. The sample included was about 0.02 oz. for a value of $1.08.
- Lottie London Perfectly Precise Brush || A small flat eye shadow brush that can be used for packing on eye shadows. This brush can be used with both cream and powder products. The sample included was one brush and has a value of $6.17.
- NYX Vivid Brights in Gunmetal || A line of liquid eyeliners from NYX that super intense. The shade gunmetal is a silver shade that I could not find on Ulta or NYX’s site, but both sites have other great shades. The sample included was a full-size product that retails for $6.99.
Overall the Sephora Play bag had a value of $46.01 while the Ipsy bag had a value of $31.29 so in that regard the Sephora Play bag has a slight advantage. When it comes to the actual bags themselves I like both but I tend to lean more towards the Ipsy bag due to it being more practical to reuse and just how dang cute it is! As for the contents inside of the bag, for that one I have to give the edge to Ipsy. Sephora’s bag contained an item I already have the full-size of, a gloss that I’m not so fond of and a hair product with a STRONG baby powder / mature scent. However, it did include a nice perfume (I love pear scents!), a face gel, and a matte liquid lipstick I’ve been wanting to try. Ipsy really only had one product that I’m on the fence about and that would be the lip crayon but I love to try out different lippies so it will still be used. Every other product in the Ipsy bag; the lip treatment, the blush, the eyeliner, and the brush are all products that I will use and some of which I might repurchase!
Ultimately I would have to say, this month in Battle of the Bags Ipsy squeaked out the win!
Which bag do you think was the winner
Shop the Full-Size Sephora Play Products
Shop the Full-Size Ipsy Products
Latest in Beautiful Hair, Skin, and Makeup
- Bioderma Micellar Water and Other Reviews
- Beauty Review | MAC x Star Trek 50th Anniversary Collaboration
- Make Up For Ever Influenster Unboxing