If you’ve been around the blog for awhile you know that one of the things that I love is books. You probably also know that I love swaps as well. The Hubs thought it would be a great idea if this year I combined two of my loves and started my very first Book Swap. Since it’s the end of the year I thought it would be great to take that idea of a Book Swap and make it into a Secret Santa Book Swap! How awesome does that sound? Below we’re going to get into all the details of what a swap is, how the Secret Santa part works, AND then finally the rules and signup form. So continue reading.
What is a Swap?
For those of you who have never participated in a swap, a swap is where you pack up a package and you receive one in return. Usually swaps have a theme and your items should revolve around that theme, they also usually have a minimum price amount set. For our swap we’re going to be focusing on books and our minimum price is going to be $5. You will need to pick out one of YOUR favorite books and send a copy of that and something for your partner to enjoy while reading that book to the person whose name you receive. An example of what you could send would be a copy of A Christmas Carol and a coffee cup with a sample pack of K-cups. Books do NOT have to be Christmas themed. They can also be used as long as they are in GOOD condition. NOTE: This is not a chance for you to get rid of extra books you have on hand. Please make sure that you are sending a book that you actually like and that it’s in a condition that YOU would want to receive.
What is Secret Santa?
You probably already know that Secret Santa means that you buy for someone and they don’t know who they are receiving their gift from. What this means for our swap is that just because you are sending to Person A that does not necessarily mean that you are receiving from Person A, you could be receiving from Person T. Make sure to include either a card or a note in your package telling your partner who you are and how they can tag you on social media so that they can share who gave them their gifts! (More info in the rules)
Now time for the most important part, the rules, while I hate to be a stickler we will have to have some rules to make sure no one gets “Scrooged” during the holidays.
- This swap is open to both bloggers and non-bloggers, however, you have to agree to either post about it on your blog or a public social media post (if your Facebook is usually set to Friends, this post would need to be set to Public)
- This swap is only open to those with a US address
- Signups will go until Midnight on November 25th 2014
- You will receive your partner’s information by early evening of November 27th 2014 (so you can take advantage of any Black Friday sales)
- You have until December 9th 2014 to ship
- You will need to linkup your link on December 22nd 2014 to a post that I will have up. (if you don’t know how to do this email me closer to the time and I will walk you through it)
- You MUST get Tracking on your package and you MUST email it to me at email@example.com by the ship date
- Your package MUST contain a copy of a book that you enjoy and something for your partner to enjoy while reading the book (i.e. coffee mug and coffee, bubble bath, hot chocolate and cookies, etc.) and your package total MUST be $5 before the book and shipping are added (you can go over the $5 limit but it is not mandatory).
- Books CAN be used but they must be in good condition, excessive wear is not acceptable. Note that the goal of this swap is NOT to clean off your bookshelf but to share a book you enjoy with another.
- Books CAN be digital format (based on partner preference), however, they must be gifted from a store (i.e. Amazon or iTunes) and not emailed to the partner. Free public domain books are not allowed (i.e. you can gift a $5 version of The Scarlet Letter but not the free version)
- If your partner prefers a digital instead of a physical copy of a book you STILL have to send them the other items
- Make sure to include a card or note telling your partner why you enjoyed that book, who you are, and how they can tag you on social media (or your blog address)
- Remember this is supposed to be fun, that being said you might receive a book that you either don’t like, have already read, or already own. If that happens PLEASE still be courteous to your partner when posting about it as you wouldn’t want someone to be rude about your package. This is probably understood but I wanted to make sure to get it in
Signup through the form below, clickable link below, and make sure to share with all your friends!
I’m so excited and can’t wait to start pairing people up!